Inky Fingers: Card Class

Today was the first session of the third series of classes taught at my favorite LSS, Stamp Fever in Orange. Nancy teaches a different technique each time, in four once-a-month meetings, and they've become very popular. She's also repeating her Stamping 101, which is not, in spite of its deceptive name, a basic stamping class!

We made two cards, using only one background stamp, an embossing folder, some stamps with matching dies (for "fussy cutting" the stamped image perfectly, using the die and a die-cutting machine like the Cuttlebug), some Tim Holtz Distress Inks, and pens.
The first card uses a newsprint-collage effect background stamp on both the main layer and the sentiment strip. The main layer is stamped, then dry-embossed. We then used the same ink and a distressing tool to lightly add color to the raised parts of the image. The sentiment strip is stamped in the same color as the main layer, then stamped with the sentiment using black ink, and faux-stitched with a black pen. The flower was inked with pens, "huffed" to refresh the ink, and stamped, then carefully aligned with the matching die and run through the die-cutting machine. I ran the edges of the main layer across the stamp pad to add a touch of extra delineation.
The second card uses two layers--the top layer where the main images are and a mat layer, which in this case we made ourselves by "distressing" the edges of the cardstock that show. A colored or patterned cardstock could also be used. For this one, we masked about a third or so of the main layer, then inked the newsprint-collage background stamp with blue distress ink and stamped above the mask. The mask was repositioned, the stamp cleaned and re-inked with brown distress ink, and the bottom 2/3 or so stamped. The sentiment strip was stamped and die-cut, then holes were punched on the tag's ends. The scrolls were stamped and die-cut (and came from the same set as the flower in the first card). Then the main layer was adhered to the mat layer. Twine was attached to the tag ends with a lark's-head knot and left loose for the moment. I think everybody in class used a different technique for attaching the scrolls to the tag. I decided how I wanted them placed, then used drops of glue to attach them. Very. Carefully. And then attached the sentiment tag to the main layer. The layers were flipped over and a tape-runner was used to put a bit of adhesive along the sides where the twine was to be tacked to the back after being artfully pulled around to the back (you can see the "legs" are spread). Then the matted layers were attached to the card base.

It was a fun class (but then, Nancy's classes are!) and I'm already trying the techniques with other background stamps and images.

No comments:

Post a Comment