2009-08-05

Why do I stitch?

Melissa (we've "known" each other since the old AOL MBs) over at a three-bedroom ranch was musing recently:
1)Why do you stitch? Because I'd go crazy if I didn't.
2) On a scale of 1-10 with 1 being least important and 10 being most important what is your cross stitch passion level? Variable, but currently, it's a 9-12.
3)If your only option for cross stitch supplies and patterns happened to be the major chain craft stores would you just walk away from the little X? Kiss it goodbye? I'd probably still be stitching, but the point is moot: with an excellent b&m LNS and an online presence, I don't have to worry about things like that. To say nothing of the stash.
4)Also are you so passionate about cross stitch that if indeed your only option was the major chain craft stores, would that inspire you to create your own cross stitch pieces because you have to stitch and you've stitched your way through the whole of Dimensions catalog--because you must stitch and the thought of life without a relationship with the little X leaves you feeling empty? Yep.
5)Finally what do the cross stitch magazines on the market offer you? Do they relate to you as a cross stitcher? Do you look at them and think to yourself, who do they think buys this magazine? I guess what I'm asking, when you see the current cross stitch magazines do they make you feel like they know their readers or do you find it's more of the same? What could they do to be ambassadors for the art of cross stitch other than putting a sampler on the cover with "F-U" on it? What are we missing on a PR level that could change the opinion of cross stitch itself? Not very much. A few of the ornaments have appealed to me, but other than those, there are very few magazine designs which appeal to me, and Mary Beth what's-'er-name who writes those articles in JCS seems to think she's the Queen of All XS Knowledge, so her articles don't often offer much to me. I'm also not seeing much variation in the designs--JCS has their in-house favorites who keep offering variations on a theme (and how many floral pillows do you need?), while others seem to favor the so-called primitives (the simplistic designs), only a few of which have ever appealed to me. I think the magazines are geared more to the beginning stitchers than to those of us who've been doing XS since the days of hand-drawn charts. And Subversive Cross Stitch's designs don't say much to me, either. Can't imagine going to the expense of having one framed. But here again, they're pretty much in the primitive/simplistic style.
6) And finally, finally, do you do other crafts and if so what are they and why do they pull you away from cross stitch? I have quite a stash of quilt fabrics and a massive collection of rubber stamps.

2 comments:

  1. I only understood about half of that, but one thing is for sure-- you are amazing at stitching. :)

    ReplyDelete